[ANN] So where's 3.2-5 for Unix?

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Oct 16 14:37:30 UTC 2002

Hi Ned,

> The RPM for Linux-386 requires libffi.so . But I'm having a hard time
> finding a libffi RPM.

So did/do most Linux distributors.  ;)

> The libffi page at cygnus points to sources at sourceware.cygnus.com,
> which seems not to exist.

It ceased to exist shortly after Red Hat bought cygnus.

> I was able to find a mirror of Cygnus and get the 1.20 sources.

This will probably work for you on 386, but is a non-starter for PPC (and
maybe other architectures too).

> But I suspect the CVS may be more recent; however, I can't connect to
> the Cygnus CVS server.

That's because Red Hat, having bought Cygnus and moved all the sourceware
over to redhat.com, omitted (rather annoyingly) to update the URLs in many
of the sourceware project home pages.

The trick is to convert all occurrences of "sourceware.cygnus.com" to
"sources.redhat.com".  (Why oh why they didn't just alias the old name in
the DNS I have no idea.)

> Any suggestions? Path to real libffi CVS server? Just use 1.20?

The libffi home page suggests

  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at sourceware.cygnus.com:/cvs/libffi login
     (password is ``anoncvs'')
  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at sourceware.cygnus.com:/cvs/libffi co libffi

so try this instead:

  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/libffi login
     (password is ``anoncvs'')
  cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs at sources.redhat.com:/cvs/libffi co libffi

This version is ostensibly `2.00 beta'.  (Note that the library and header
it generates will not work with any Unix Squeak release prior to 3.2-5.)

Note also that the sources on the CVS server won't compile on PowerPC
(modulo the maintainer applying the patches I sent).  I am happy to send
my CVS diffs (or the patched tree in its entirety) to anyone who wants to
compile libffi on a SYSV-based PowerPC machine (e.g., GNU/Linux).

Regards,

Ian