[ANN] DVS rev. 1.28

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Fri Oct 18 09:19:52 UTC 2002

Hi Avi and all!

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
>
> > Excellent...
> >
> > Will have a peek.
> >
> > Note to all - if you have SqueakMap and some package loader, you can
> > choose this off a list, click a button, and try it out. (hint, hint)
>
> Ah yes, I should have added that to the list of ways of getting it.  From
> now on whenever I post an announcement I'll just say, "Available from
> SqueakMap" ;).

:-) Nice. Now I just need to "let go of the corner flag and get into the
game"  (a direct translation of a funny swedish soccer saying) and
release SqueakMap release 6 RC1.

How to refer to a SqueakMap package (= makes Celeste not cutting long
lines):

=1. By name and weburl:
http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/packagebyname/dvs
=2. By UUID and weburl:
http://marvin.bluefish.se:8000/sm/package/100d59d0-bf81-4e74-a4fe-5a2fd0
c6b4ec
=3. By a oneliner do-it to install: (SMInstaller forPackage:
(SMSqueakMap default loadUpdates cardWithNameBeginning: 'dvs')
directory: FileDirectory default) install

(Note: Soon the url will be
http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/packagebyname/dvs instead. Map2 will be
a backup slavemirror.)

That last oneliner will update the SqueakMap so that it is fresh, find
the package called dvs, download it to 'FileDirectory default" and and
install it in the current ChangeSet using the appropriate method
depending on the name of the downloaded file. Since these small
oneliners are pretty cool I will see if I can bring that down a bit in
length and it would also be nice if it used a ChangeSet of its own
instead of the current. Actually the default installer also handles
.st.gz files.

Now when thinking about it wouldn't it be cool if Celeste could convert
say "squeakmap://100d59d0-bf81-4e74-a4fe-5a2fd0c6b4ec" (or something
similar) into a little cool icon with a popupmenu having choices like
"open in miniloader/install" etc!? Any Celeste hacker around? Otherwise
I will just have to do it myself someday...

regards, Göran

PS. I have a stupid "naming issue" in SqueakMap - "card" should perhaps
be "package" instead but I was thinking in terms of those cards you can
find in a library describing books. Hmmm, perhaps it isn't that bad
after all... DS