[ANN] DVS rev. 1.28

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Sat Oct 19 19:53:46 UTC 2002

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Ned Konz wrote:

> * the docs on your website and the swiki need to have some names
> changed (especially changing Module to Package everywhere), right?

Yes.  I'm out of town right now (actually, in your neck of the woods,
Ned), but I'll update the docs when I get back.

> * where is the fabled "Add" button on the DVS UI (PackagePanel?)? Or
> is this just a matter of adding a PackageInfo subclass?

Right.  The Add button is from an older version.  If you add a PackageInfo
subclass and hit "Refresh" on the PackagePanel, your package should show
up.  You can then choose "Edit" to select a subdirectory to place the file
in, if you like.

> * What has to go in the PackageInfo subclass? I see that externalName
> provides the default fileOut name. Is there anything there that is
> usefully overridden?

Nothing has to.  #externalName is definitely useful, #moduleName might be
(but less likely), and the rest are useful if you need to modify the
naming conventions, or add in an oddball class (for example, I guess I
could know move Continuation out of the Seaside categories and into
Kernel-Methods where it more properly belongs).

> * Where do I put my change set's prolog? I have to rename classes,
> convert instances, etc. before any loading happens.

I haven't decided on exactly how prologues should work.  Perhaps
PackageInfo could have a #prolog method, and the fileOut could make sure
to load and call this first thing?

> * where do I put the CS postscript? I make flaps, etc. when the
> project is loaded.

Postscript can probably go in #initialize methods, no?  Or we could do
something similar to #prolog.

> * How is all this tied in with CVS via OSProcess? I can't get this to
> work (well, part of it is that CommandShell segfaults Squeak...)

It's not, right now.  I briefly did have some OSProcess integration but I
found I often wanted to resort to the shell anyway.  It would be great if
someone took the time to build a really well integrated in-squeak solution
but I don't have the time.

> * How do I abort loading if there is a missing pre-requisite
> identified in the prolog, wherever it gets put?

How do you do this normally?