Delivery of Applications was:[BUG] Abandon Sources Failure in 3.2

michael.cole at nimiq.net michael.cole at nimiq.net
Sun Oct 20 15:38:56 UTC 2002

(Scott, I had meant to cc: the list on 16 Oct but forgot)

Scott,

Thanks once again for the detailed and thoughtful reply . I will try the
workaround.

The interest in 'abandon sources' is to be able to deliver an
application, hardened to make it impossible for the user to see or
modify the code. I have been under the impression that 'abandon sources'
is at least part of the answer to this need.

I suppose the most general question (to the list) is this. What needs to
be done (in 3.2 and in 3.3) to deliver a squeak-based application where,
minimally:
	- the user cannot access any code
	- the user cannot modify the application (so no squeak code executable
from text etc.)
	- access to the ctrl-alt programming support is turned off (save for
clipboard cut, paste and undo) [Did there not used to be such an option
in preferences? What is now there doesn't have this effect.]

I'm sure there are other criteria for application delivery that others
can add to this list.

My sense was that these issues were high on the agenda in the stable
squeak movelet, but I've not seen much recently regarding application
delivery per se.

Squeak is already doing real work in the real world. Hardening it to the
rigors of the harsh world where people will break applications in ways
one never imagines is critical to ensure squeak gets off on the right
foot when it is ready for its close up (and I my view it is already
there).

Michael Cole
michael.cole at nimiq.net