Delivery of Applications was:[BUG] Abandon Sources Failure in 3.2

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Oct 21 01:39:32 UTC 2002

On Sunday 20 October 2002 08:38 am, michael.cole at nimiq.net wrote:
> I suppose the most general question (to the list) is this. What
> needs to be done (in 3.2 and in 3.3) to deliver a squeak-based
> application where, minimally:
>         - the user cannot access any code
>         - the user cannot modify the application (so no squeak code
> executable from text etc.)
>         - access to the ctrl-alt programming support is turned off
> (save for clipboard cut, paste and undo) [Did there not used to be
> such an option in preferences? What is now there doesn't have this
> effect.]

Scott pointed you to a change set that I posted to the list to take
care of doing this. As I said in that mail, it disables:

* Halos
* Meta and Debug menus
* Command keys in world
* Command-dot interrupts
* Debuggers (though notifiers will still come up)
* World menu (from mouse or key)
* Command keys other than editing & cursor in text

What you must further do:

* Remove the programming tools. Though it's very difficult to get to
them with my change set, to make sure you'll probably want to do
this.

Code browsers, etc. can go (and will shrink your image). Note that
this should be among the last things you do, as part of a lock-down
script.

* Make sure that any text entry fields, etc. have custom context menus
or disable the yellow and blue buttons altogether.

* Disable the ability to run scripts named at the command line. I
forget where this happens, but it will probably be in a startUp:
method. Of course, if you remove the compiler it won't be a problem.

* Depending on what you're doing, you may also want to remove the
compiler. Clearly, you won't be able to execute workspace code after
this, so you probably want to wire this to a button that then deletes
itself.

What you probably also want to do:

* write a script that strips out all the unnecessary cruft out of the
image. There are a number of entire applications in there (games, a
web browser and mail client, a web server, etc.) that you probably
don't need. Then share the script with us because we need it too!

Please share your findings and improvements with the list. I (and
probably others also) want to ship packaged Squeak-based apps.

Thanks,
--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com