Killer app alert

Jerry Bell jdbell at fareselaw.com
Mon Oct 21 01:59:36 UTC 2002

(I came across this on Slashdot and although I'm sure many of you have already heard of this, I felt it was important enough to bring to the list's attention).

There was some activity on the list a few weeks ago concerning Lotus Agenda, which was a DOS-based PIM with some really interesting ideas (not much like what are called PIMs today).  Good explanation is here: http://home.neo.lrun.com/pim/article1.htm - the article is worth reading.

Apparently Mitch Kapor of Lotus 123 and Agenda has put together a team to build an Outlook killer / Agenda replacement.  They've been working for about a year.  It is code-named "Chandler".

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/business/4327025.htm

http://blogs.osafoundation.org/mitch/000007.html

They have a prototype and a design (they are using a lot of the ideas that made Agenda so nifty).  They are building around Python and assorted other tech: the Zope database, wxWindowx/wxPython, Jabber, RDF, Mozilla.

I'm excited about the project because I liked lots of Agenda's idea; but I couldn't help but think that Squeak might be a better choice than Python - not just as a better development platform, but as a more powerful idea- working with objects in a live environment vs. some sort of more restricted view of an 'item'.  I think that Morphic/Agenda could be a very powerful combination indeed!

I'd like to invite other members of the list to suggest this route to Kapor's team if you think it is appropriate- lots of you have enormous amounts of experience, real name recognition, and are in a much better position to talk about and demonstrate Squeak's benefits and philosophy than I am (some of you might even know Mr. Kapor personally!).

They appear to be very early in their project so it wouldn't be entirely impossible that they might change development platforms if given good reason.  Also, it does look like this project is actually funded to some extent, it might be possible for some of the great Squeakers out there to find paying work on this project. You can find their mailing lists here: http://www.osafoundation.org/mailing_lists.htm

Jerry Bell