is Missing multiple inheritance in sqeak a drawback ?

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 24 04:13:50 UTC 2002

> <g> I have also mapped it directly onto other runtimes like .NET.
>
> The key element to supporting MI is to recognize the "pure" object
> model of Smalltalk is based on messaging (behavior); it is crucial to
> keep this concept distinct from that of "structure" (representation)
> of objects.
>
> -- Dave S. [SmallScript Corp]

Which is why I am so elated by the Traits work... <:)

Also, I agree 100%, in smalltalk, what matters is that two objects speak
the same protocol, not that they somehow inherit in an appropiate
fashion on the tree... ( The horrors of the JAVA collection classes ).

I think Traits in a way may be a combination of several ideas used in
Smallscript. It seems they're like mixins/interfaces/etc depending on
how much is implemented inside them...

That said, Traits should make implementing PIE easy...

-Daniel