SqueakMap Package Loader

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 24 19:00:22 UTC 2002

Well, I'm starting to look at Goran's changes to SqueakMap, and work on
the changes for the default Loader. Here are the things that are
tentatively on my plate (almost surely not all of those will make it):

- look at and integrate Goran's fixes (I thought the white panes are
pretty nice, though ;-)
- use cardsByNames
- wire in "upgrade all packages"
- correctly report installation (not download) failure.
- add sanity checks in case both servers are down.
- look at Ned's clickable links code for SM browsers.
- Have a look at wiring SMLoader into the 'browse code' PackageBrowser
(Goran's idea - so you can preview the code before installing)

If there's anything else you think should be there, let me know.

However, I think it's much more important that this Loader be usable and
simple than that it have lots of features.

So please try it out as it is now, and let me know of any bugs or
problems you find. Read the help as if you knew nothing about SqueakMap
or it's Loader, and see if you understand what to do.

Do the filters work for you? is it clear what packages are being shown,
or are they too complicated?

Remember this will be used by people that just downloaded Squeak 3.2 to
get to the packages you post on SqueakMap - if they don't get it we all
lose.

Daniel Vainsencher