[ANN] New Version of VI4 (block closures)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Wed Oct 23 13:35:04 UTC 2002

Hi Anthony,

Will you be at OOPSLA?  VI4 sounds great...have you compared the
performance of generating the interpreter of the two VMs?  Here's the
code:

Smalltalk garbageCollect.
[((CCodeGenerator new initialize
	addClass: Interpreter;
	prepareMethods;
	doInlining: true)
		cCodeForMethod: #interpret)] timeToRun

In working on the "Chango" persistence VM, I've found that
#tinyBenchmarks doesn't really give an accurate picture of real
performance.

Anyway...I'm planning to demo my persistence VM at OOPSLA and would like
to re-implement it on top of VI4 (I may gain back some of the
performance I lost ;) ).  It would be nice to sit down with you to get
an idea how much work that would entail.

Cheers,
Stephen