is Missing multiple inheritance in sqeak a drawback ?

Daniel Joyce daniel.a.joyce at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 24 23:36:55 UTC 2002

> Or SortedCollection>>addLast: to ride the horse to death ;-)
>
> Stephan

But that's because inheritance, to maximize code reuse in ST and Java,
forces you to inherit unsensible messages for some versions of
collections, and so you get all sorts of messages that the object says
it understands, but doesn't really ( either it's been DNUd, or
something else ).

The same holds true in Java....

Traits would allow us to factor out protocols into a seperate heirarchy
from the collections... Code reuse w/o non-sensical messages cropping
up in the tree. And I think traits can be used for much much cooler
things as well.

I have no doubt when the Trait designers said they were gonna tackle the
Collection heirarchy with traits that they were doing it for just this
very reason....

-Daniel