Envy or Store or what?

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Mon Oct 28 19:47:45 UTC 2002

Hi again!

Quoting Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com>:
> On Monday 28 October 2002 12:56 pm, Nevin Pratt wrote:
> > IBM VisualAge has Envy (and so does VW from 5i.1 and earlier).
> > VW has Store.
> >
> > What's the best approach for similar functionality for Squeak?
>
> Probably DVS (available from SqueakMap) with an external CVS or other
> source code management program, and perhaps CVST as an interface with
> the CVS server.

Well, CVST (https://sourceforge.net/projects/cvstproj/) is a project with two
components:

-CVSTProj
-Sqcvs

CVSTProj tries to do approximately the same thing as DVS but using a different
approach if I am not mistaken. It is mostly being developed by Martin Kobetic
for VW but it has ports for VA, Dolphin and Squeak (impressive). In short - it
is a code mirroring tool that can represent your code in source files on disk so
that you can use classic CVS to manage them. Much like DVS.

Sqcvs is simply a Squeak implementation of the CVS pserver client/server
protocol. It is 95% functional and probably just a few hours away of being
useful. What can it do? Well, it can do the same thing that CVS.exe can but from
inside Squeak using Sockets directly to the CVS server. This gives a few advantages:

1. You don't need CVS on the client. Squeak can do it all by itself.
2. You don't even have to have "files". Sqvs uses a model object which can of
course in turn use the filesystem but equally easy it could go straight to your
classes or some other model!
3. Since it is in Squeak we have better control, which means we can do slick
tricks. ;-)

So in short - if you intend to use DVS I see no need for CVSTProj. Sqcvs on the
other hand could be a nice partner with DVS, but unless you like to code - that
isn't true yet.

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek