Envy or Store or what?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Mon Oct 28 20:57:25 UTC 2002

On 28 Oct 2002, Cees de Groot wrote:

> If DVS can use multiple backends, wouldn't Subversion be a better choice?
>
> http://subversion.tigris.org/

DVS doesn't care what SCM it's used with - it just syncs the image with
the filesystem, and how the files got there is Somebody Else's Problem.
So SVN would work great with it.  (In fact, DVS barely cares about the
filesystem - any external system that can store and retrieve chunk-format
source is fine, just write a simple Dumper/Loader pair for it).

Subversion would be especially cool if someone implemented WebDAV in
Squeak, so that we could talk to it directly rather than going to files.
But, yes, it would be a good choice even without that.  The only reason I
personally use CVS right now is that sourceforge is a convenient place to
host a public repository.  If you set up a public SVN server I could
probably be convinced to move Seaside, etc, to it.