[ANN] Seaside 2.02

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Tue Oct 29 14:38:15 UTC 2002

Hi all!

goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> Hi all (and Seasiders too)!
>
> Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
> > Seaside 2.02 has been posted to SqueakMap.  There's been some minor
> > reorganization and bug fixing, but the major difference is a new,
> > fairly large example: the beginnings of a SqueakMap browser.  Once you
> > have 2.02 loaded, point your browser to http://localhost:9090/sm to try it
> > out.  And start adding features ;).
>
> Aha! Cool. As you may know the web UI for SqeuakMap master servers is
> pretty... basic.

I looked a bit at the code and noticed it does indeed offer registration
of cards etc as the master web UI does.

Just so you know:

If you use this UI on top of your "regular" map and start modifying it
by adding cards etc. it will get "corrupted" in regards with the real
master. Today the client SqueakMap is a "readonly mirror" of the master
and keeps track of changes through a transaction counter. I have plans
in making this more sophisticated and for one thing allowing local
"extra state" and also allow committing changes "upstream". But as I
said - today this is a NO NO.

But nothing stops you from creating a parallell map and play with that
using:

	Smalltalk at: #MyPlayMap put: (SMSqueakMap newIn: 'sm2')

...and play around with that one. Or indeed copy the .log file from your
original 'sm' directory into 'sm2' (make sure it gets the highest
number) and then do a:

	MyPlayMap reloadLog

...in order to get a play map with the same content.

I haven't actually tried the code above, bug I think it should work.

regards, Göran