Squeak on Palm OS 5?

Tim Rowledge squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 3 17:15:17 UTC 2002

JohnMaloney at earthlink.net is claimed by the authorities to have written:

> Speed was one issue for PalmOS. The other was the memory model, which
> would only give you 32K contiguous blocks of memory. I would hope that
> Palm OS 5 relaxes that restriction. It seems like they'd have to, since
> they are getting into photos and MP3 players which need big chunks of
> memory.
To the best of my knowledge, they have dropped those sillinesses. There
would still be plenty of problems since the machines are still intended
to use minimal memory and to sleep as much as possible so as to provide
decent battery life. I know a good Smalltalk could be made for them,
after all they're just the latest incarnation of the Active Book
hardware with still more memory and speed.

tim
Great leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute intimidation works pretty well.