SqueakOS

Eddie Cottongim squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 4 18:08:11 UTC 2002

With wireless ethernet common and cheap now, would it be possible for these
'glorified remote controls' to be dumb terminals?
They could have a lot less processor & ram, and more importantly, you
wouldn't have to worry about squeezing down Squeak or anything else into its
contraints; the software could be as big and fat as needed, running on a
host PC in the house somewhere. The handheld device would need enough
resources for a framebuffer, tcp/ip, and the remote GUI client, which
shouldn't be much at all by today's standards. I use VNC ( a remote desktop,
www.realvnc.org ) over 10 mpbs ethernet and its plenty fast for a 1024x768
screen in windows; a more custom implementation where you have a smaller
screen and tighter control over updates could be even better.

Just an idea,
Eddie