Euler (was "Interval Smalltalk redux (was "SqueakOS")")

Martin McClure squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Oct 7 03:33:56 UTC 2002

At 8:07 PM -0800 10/5/02, Alan Kay wrote:

>Deep Historical Note --
>      Much earlier in the 60s Klaus did his best work with a typeless
>VHLL -- Euler, ca 1965-6 -- that was an extreme generalization of
>Algol (based on work by van Wijngaarten). This language had a
>bytecode interpreter based on the orginal bytecode interpreter: yes,
>the HW of the 1961 Burroughs B5000 designed by Bob Barton. (These
>are very old ideas folks.) In 1967 I did to Euler what Simula did to
>Algol to get the first Flex language, which was also run by a
>microcoded bytecode interpreter (the first OOP one).

I haven't heard anyone mention Euler for a *long* time. When I was
much younger and even more foolish, I liked Euler enough that I chose
write a compiler for Euler for a class assignment. I chose to write
the compiler in Snobol, probably for no better reason than that I
wanted to get a feel for what it was like to write something
non-trivial in Snobol. The result wasn't particularly useful (it took
almost 500K to run the thing, so I had to get time on the mainframe
at night) but I did learn from the experience.

-Martin