Multisqueak! =)

Alan Grimes squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 9 06:19:59 UTC 2002

If I weren't busy battling C++ for college, I would be contemplating
making a development fork of squeak for the purpose of performance and
flexabilty enhancements, mainly as an interim goal in my AI work.

The two goals of the fork would be to do the following:

1. produce a threaded interpriter which can be split among processors in
some way, probably so that squeak processes can be run on any available
processor. It would have an interpriter thread for each available
processor which would operate on tasks as they become available. To the
extent the interp can be paralellized, the system would be able to scale
with the hardware.
1b. Improved process managment within squeak, esp, an easy way to make
additional "UI" processes...

2. Two-headed squeak... Make the Display object instantiable and add
functionality that it can be instantiated across multiple windows,
multiple X-displays, and even across multiple X-Servers (or framebuffer
devices).

3. Additional AI-related tweaks that sane people generally don't add to
normal software.

I don't have the energy to persue these at the moment so I probably
shouldn't be bringing these up but since there was an active thread on
the subject I thought I might as well...

--
Sometime in 1996 God reached down from the heavens and created a game
called "Terranigma". ;)