MathMorphs

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 11 07:15:17 UTC 2002

Hi Doug and all!

Doug Mair <dmair5 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a new Squeak User.  All I can say is WOW, how'd
> you do all that in so small a space.  I bought the
> book by Mark Guzdial and Kim Rose about Squeak.  I
> have downloaded the lastest VM (Squeak 3.2.3 / Tea
> 1.8) and image (Squeak3.2-4956.image) for Win32.
>
> Here are my questions:
> 1)  Morphic Wrappers and Math Morphs don't seem to
> work correctly.  Does anyone have a current version of
> these.
>
> 2)  Is there a Squeak.exe that works with 3.2-4956 and
> has fixed the DirectX bug (objects are always black).

This sounds familiar. Have you searched any of the archives of this
list?
Andreas Raab probably has the answer.

> 3)  Am I posting to the correct group?  What type of
> posts are accepted in this e-group?

Yes, this is more or less the only list we have - newbies and seasoned
veterans in one big cosy pile! Personally I like it this way, subjects
vary in level, everybody can learn something from each other etc. It is
a very friendly list.

There is another list though for the development of Swiki, one for
SqueakFoundation (not much technical stuff and pretty silent) and one
for the educational stuff some of us (not me) do at squeakland.org.

But if it's about Squeak you are in the right place.

> 4)  What is Tea?  Is there a website that describes
> the latest in Squeak development?

I have no idea about Tea. Aha, perhaps it is the
ultrasecret-soon-to-be-unveiled-stuff that Andreas and others have been
doing lately!

The main website for Squeak is: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1
There is a wealth of information there.

> 5)  Is there a better version of Squeak than what I am
> using?

Better? Well, you are using 4956 with a 3.2.3 VM. The Win32 VM (and a
few others) is now hosted on SF and a quick check there says you are up
to speed. And 4956 is the latest update for 3.2, so you are on the
officially released edge.

As a newbie you should also NOT look at 3.3 yet. Probably the most
effective way to make you do it anyway though is to say that you should
NOT.:-) Sure, go ahead then, but be aware that 3.3 is in a BIG flux and
it WILL tell you weird things at times and please do NOT come back here
with questions about it, there isn't much point in that yet. Big change
in 3.3 is the new Modules system which isn't ready and that is why the
ground shakesin 3.3...

> Thanks for any help, and thanks for all of the great
> work in Squeak.
> Doug Mair

Ah! Ok, you passed the test (to be friendly and not complaining about
things in your first post) - you are now officially dubbed as a
Squeaker! Welcome!

regards, Göran