Smalltalk Cookbook

Alan Kay squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sat Oct 12 17:18:34 UTC 2002

--============_-1177679277==_ma============

Thanks Andrew --

I agree completely!

Cheers,

Alan

------

--
--============_-1177679277==_ma============

blockquote, dl, ul, ol, li { padding-top: 0 ; padding-bottom: 0 }
a great service to the community.&nbsp; Sorry to be a wet blanket, but
I have to comment about a dull, non-tech issue.</blockquote>
posting any code there, because Cees seeks to bind all code posted
there under the GNU Free Documentation license.&nbsp; A cookbook is,
primarily, a library of code rather than documentation, and the
provisions of GFD, while not so bad for content, appears viral into
the derived code -- particularly because:</blockquote>
size="+2">A &quot;Modified Version&quot; of the Document means any
work containing the</font></blockquote>
size="+2">Document or a portion of it, either copied verbatim, or
with</font></blockquote>
size="+2">modifications and/or translated into another
language.&quot;</font></blockquote>
view that unspecialized viral licenses are unsuitable for an
image-based OO environment, such as Squeak and many other Smallalk
derivatives.&nbsp; Unless we want to shift from a primarily BSD-like
Squeak style license to a primarily GNU-like license (and get
permission of existing licensors to make the switch), I believe that
such a cookbook is a recipe for problems down the road.</blockquote>
cruft in our image.&nbsp; For my part, I see absolutely no need
whatsoever to restrict use and reuse of a freely distributed
web-available Squeak cookbook -- suggest losing the license
anyway.</blockquote>
deal to play, the &quot;click-to&quot; as opposed to
&quot;click-through&quot; form of &quot;click-wrap&quot; has been held
unenforceable in New Jersey and various other jurisdictions --
something more would be required.&nbsp; &quot;Click-through&quot; on
the other hand, seems quite enforceable.</blockquote>
Cees de Groot wrote:</blockquote>
on comp.lang.smalltalk (I'll wait here</blockquote>
surprised ... ok now?), I've setup a Swiki</blockquote>
deployment) of a Smalltalk Cookbook:</blockquote>
cite>&nbsp;http://swiki.squeakfoundation.org/cookbook</blockquote>
dialect-independent, so please,</blockquote>
start with the dreary Collections</blockquote>
;-)</blockquote>
Groot&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span
http://www.cdegroot.com&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&lt;cg at cdegroot.com&gt;</blockquote>
4ECD&nbsp; 1986 F303 937F E098 9E8B</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><pre>--
</pre></x-sigsep>