is Missing multiple inheritance in sqeak a drawback ?

Diego Gomez Deck squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Sun Oct 13 11:08:58 UTC 2002

Hello,

>Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> said:
>>What this won't do, unfortunately, is track Collection and regenerate the
>>wrappers if Collection gains or loses some methods.
>>
>These are the Perils Of Code Generation, and that's why I consider it a Tool
>of the Dark Side (the fact that you cannot write any decent system in Java
>without resorting to it says enough ;-)).
>
>Why are you generating code and not doing something more dynamic? It'd be easy
>to have the same effect in a DNU handler.

It's not the same effect. With a DNU handler you lose the meaning of self.  (Object A can aswer #foo and #foo2, Proxy P delegates all messages to A but #foo2 is a little bit more complicated in P.  In the method A>>foo you have a sentence "self foo2" --> the implementacion in P is not used)

>--
>Cees de Groot

Cheers,

Diego Gomez Deck