Questions From Argentina

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Oct 14 08:10:19 UTC 2002

Hi Luis and all!

The weekend passed and you got no answers so... here is something! :-)

Luis Alessi Salazar <asalazar at sol.info.unlp.edu.ar> wrote:
> HI,
>    My name is Luis, I am a student in the UNLP and I am using Squeak to do an
> investigation work. My question are:
>
> 1.-Do I have any tool like the Resourcer FInder in VIsual Works, that allow me to
> find grafhic interfaces, or a tool to draw new panes or widgets associates with a
> model, because I can´t find the rigth tool?

Nah, not really. There is no "UI painter" tool in Squeak. Most of us
simply write the code instead.
There are UI painter tools for Squeak available though as addons - check
the Swiki.

> 2.-I asked 1.- becouse I want to add a new pane to the System Browser to show me
> some extra behavior of the messages of a class, can I do this?.

Sure. Take a look at method Browser>>openEditString:. This is where the
newly created browser starts to build its UI.
If you check senders of this method you will find the class methods from
where it is called. And if you read the method a bit you will see that
it calls Browser>>openAsMorphEditing: which is where you will find the
code that builds the UI in Morphic. Try hacking around in it and see
what happens. But beware that this will of course affect any new
browsers you open up... :-)

> 3.-Where Can I get the Tree View for Squeak? It is an widget that shows tree
> structures.

Check out the classes in category Tools-Explorer. Especially
ListItemWrapper and uses thereof (class refs). The ObjectExplorer is the
tool you get if you "explore" something like for example "World
explore".

> Thanks,Luis

No problems, regards Göran