newbie question about Scamper and firewall proxy

Steve Gilbert squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Oct 15 00:06:12 UTC 2002

David Faught wrote:

> Hi, I am new to Squeak but not to general programming.
>  I am trying to do some of the tutorials using Scamper
> within Squeak 3.2, but can't get through our firewall.
>  I just get, for example, the message:
>
> "error occured retrieving
> http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak: Server
> minnow.cc.gatech.edu is not responding"
>
> When normally using Internet Explorer, the firewall
> proxy server is set up in the Internet Options, and
> when I then request a page that requires Internet
> access, I get prompted for a userid and password to
> authenticate to the firewall.
>
> In Squeak, I see some code in the HTTP protocol that
> looks like it is set up to use such a proxy, and there
> is code somewhere (in Scamper I think?) that looks
> like it automatically requests a userid/password when
> a particular HTTP status code is received, but somehow
> I never get prompted for the firewall.  Scamper just
> goes directly to the message above.
>
> Is there something easy that I am missing here?  How
> can I make this work?

> http://faith.yahoo.com

Try using:

HTTPSocket useProxyServerNamed: 'yourproxy.yourdomain.com' port: 80.

You need to type this into a workspace, substituting your correct proxy
server name between the single quotes, and your correct port number.

Then select to highlight the text and "Do It" to execute it.
Don't forget to save the image after you do this, or you will have to do
this each time you come into Squeak.

Steve Gilbert