Squeak Starter

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 16 08:50:03 UTC 2002

Hi Scott and all!

Scott Wallace <scott.wallace at squeakland.org> wrote:
> At 8:38 AM -0700 9/24/02, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
> >...Walkback in current image: "You can't add Modules at the top level".
> >
> >{sigh}

Hmm, the original posting hasn't reached me yet, but anyway.

[SNIP of true observations]
> I'd be interested in hearing feedback on this naive but expedient little hack.  Should it go into the image?  It does not deal with any potentially awkward issues, it just brings code in, rather than rejecting it, so that you can start working with it from within Squeak.

Sure. IMHO, go for it. 3.3a is *alpha* so hey, fix it - that's what
alpha is for... :-)

> Or would this be too much of an affront to the integrity of the Modules system?  Or does anyone care anymore?

Nope, I don't think it would and yes, I care for Modules - but see no
problem with improving it! And since it is alpha mistakes are ok - we
can always fix it while we go forward.

We all know development on Modules stopped before it was really
userfriendly (and no shame on Henrik, he did a lot of work but there was
too little support from the rest of us - and that is noones fault) but
it's still IMHO pretty solid code - it just need to get finished! :-)

There was a flurry of activity with Andreas carrying the flag but lately
it got very silent. Personally I try to spend my time on SqueakMap for
3.2 and when that is "done" in some sense I intend to start looking at
3.3 more closely - I believe there are a whole bunch of .cs floating
around for Modules that need to get integrated.

> Cheers,
>
>  -- Scott

Cheers, Göran