[ANN] So where's 3.2-5 for Unix?

Ian Piumarta squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 17 05:17:22 UTC 2002

Hi Steve,

On 17 Oct 2002, Steve Elkins wrote:
> First the build failure...
>
>   gcc -c -I./include -O2 -fPIC -Wall -DVM_LIBDIR=\"/usr/local/lib/squeak/3.2-5\" npsqueak.c
>   include/npapi.h:129: X11/Xlib.h: No such file or directory

Like I mentioned in the release notes (this is your payback for using the
impatient persons' README ;) the npsqueak stuff still isn't properly
integrated: it assumes gcc and gld, it assumes X11 includes in your
default search path, etc...  Bert and I have to work a little more at
making it a responsible citizen w.r.t. configure etc.

> * Saw "******** AUDIO DISABLED (no support found for: auto)" go by in
>   the configure step.  I've hacked sound in before, I'll see if I can
>   repeat it and report back.

I'm not sure what OpenBSD has in the way of sound.  On Linux this would
default to OSS (if /dev/dsp exists and is writable), otherwise it checks
for NAS and finally for Sun Audio.  If you can determine that one of the
above applies also to OpenBSD then you can configure using

	.../configure --with-audio={oss,nas,sun}

as appropriate.

> * Saw "******** disabling SqueakFFIPrims" go by in the configure step,
>   don't remember if it worked before.

This is because you don't have libffi.  (And no, it didn't work before,
because 3.2-5 is the first release in which it's enabled at all. ;)

The configure warnings are perfectly normal and harmless -- they mean
simply that your VM will have neither sound nor FFI callouts.  (The latter
you could cure by installing libffi from source -- see about 4 or 5
messages back in this thread.)

Regards,
Ian