SqueakMap Package Loader

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 25 07:51:18 UTC 2002

danielv at netvision.net.il wrote:
> =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Hultgren?= <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> wrote:
> > 1. Could you use checkbox menu items for the filters? Right now even I get
> > confused when clicking around in the filters...
> Never done that before, I'll have a look. Maybe a dynamic window label
> saying things like "SM Package Loader (new&newer packages)" would be
> useful?

Yes, that would also help. For checkbox menu items, just do an alt-n on:
showPackagesDeepString

And see how I did it. Dead simple.

> > 2. It could be nice to be able to list "installed packages" also.
> Ok.
>
> > 3. When the package loader fires up for the first time it is confusing if it
> > doesn't show any packages...
> Hmmm, when does this happen?

Well, have you tried firing up RC1 in a clean image? I think it did it
then for me.
I could be hallucinating.

And one more thing, add a "Cursor wait showWhile: []" around the lengthy
operations - right now it's hard to see that something is happening (I
connect with a modem from home and then these things tend to get
noticed...).

[SNIP]
> > And of course - SM Package Loader is loaded directly from the map when SqueakMap
> > RC1 is loaded into the image (using a postscript). This means that there is no
> > "deadline" for SM Loader.
>
> BTW, Ned sent an ENH the other day that makes SMCard fullDescription be
> HTML. Check it out and consider integrating it into SM, I like it.
> Actually, maybe fields other than downloadUrl could also be links, like
> the mail to maintainer.

Hmmm, did I miss that one? Ah, you mean the clickable links - yes, but
it is still Text I think!
Already integrated. I suck up anything Ned sends me but I intended to
"hold my breadth" and then release everything as RC2.

Will do it later today.

regards, Göran