Loader UI and help text ( Was: Re: SqueakMap Package Loader )

Brent Vukmer squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Oct 25 14:01:43 UTC 2002

Hey Daniel.  I think the help text should mention that if you load the
most current version of a package, that the package will disappear from
the list.
Also, a clickable URL to the SM swiki page might be helpful at the end.

I think the Loader UI pretty close to simple enough.  I wonder whether
the right-hand pane ( License/Maturity Level/ Squeak Versions ) is
necessary.
I think you could just make the Loader a two-pane window, with the
detailed package info in the right-hand pane.

Two more ideas that might or might not increase usability:

1) Color-code the package names in the left-hand pane, by maturity level
( for example, Stable = Green, Bleeding Edge = Red )
That way, without adding any sort-by-maturity-level functionality, I
could see at a glance which installs might be risky / safe / whatever.

2)  if you want to keep the current right-hand pane information, put it
into a Balloon

You guys ROCK.  I am really excited about this set of tools.