The Future of Dynapad (survey!)

Nevin Pratt squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Oct 28 03:07:02 UTC 2002

Tommy Thorn wrote:

> Nevin Pratt wrote:
>
>> To solve the suspend problem, I can run "apm -s" from an Xterm, and
>> the Zaurus will go to sleep.  I can then wake it up via the normal
>> power button, but the Xterm that "apm" was run from is hung (even if
>> I do it as "apm -s &").  I thought about writing a quick "Suspend"
>> button from Squeak that would just kick off apm that way, but the
>> OSProcess stuff isn't in that image.
>

> Check the old post for more on this, but all you need to do is to
> write /proc/sys/pm/suspend to suspend the Zaurus.
>
> /Tommy

Very good.

For a quick-and-dirty suspend, it's no big deal to leave an Xterm up,
with 'echo > /proc/sys/pm/suspend' in it's command buffer.

Then anytime I wish to suspend: (1) click the Xterm, (2) push cursor-up
button, (3) push return button.
To wake it up: (1) push the on/off button.

Maybe someday I'll make it a single-click button within Squeak, but this
1-click/2-buttons suspend will work for now.

Nevin