Envy or Store or what?

Cees de Groot squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Oct 29 09:39:54 UTC 2002

 <goran.hultgren at bluefish.se> said:
>Note 2: I really like the "work model" of CVS compared to Envy and
>similar pessimistic systems.

In fact, I always put this on the prerequisite list when selecting
versioning systems :-)

>So... personally I would like to create a Squeak/Smalltalk specific
>repository solution using DVS (for declaring packages and perhaps more)
>combined with a nice Comanche based server perhaps that can do tags,
>branches and Smalltalk-smart-automerge (not the silly "Are these lines
>too close?") and a few other things that really is useful. And make the
>backend storage pluggable and let the first implementation use Magma.

Add multi-repository to the list. That's one of the things I like best
about StORE - I work off-line and commit regularly to my local StORE
repository, and only when a chunk of work is finished I need to go to
the slow, remote repository I run on one of our servers directly on
the Net. Similarly, I maintain multiple versions of software connected
to two remote repositories: the Cincom public StORE gets my, say, SSL
package patches and there I continuously track work, while the internal
repository gets less regular commits with stable versions only.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.cdegroot.com     <cg at cdegroot.com>
Cogito ergo evigilo