[Seaside] Re: [ANN] Seaside 2.02

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Oct 30 07:42:09 UTC 2002

Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
>
> > I looked a bit at the code and noticed it does indeed offer registration
> > of cards etc as the master web UI does.
>
> Yes - the demo wouldn't be much fun otherwise ;).  And I suppose I had a
> nefarious ulterior motive - I'd like you to abandon your heathen HttpView
> ways and come to the Seaside... that is, I thought having an app that was
> around in both might jump start a discussion on how HV features could be
> integrated into Seaside.

:-) I am committed to merge/integrate whatever nice stuff I got in
HttpView that is interesting to put in Seaside.
And then we will see how I "feel" about Seaside compared to HttpView.
:-)

You really have some nifty stuff in there (and I think I have some nifty
ideas in HttpView too) but I need to sit down and learn it more. As we
said this will be a good job for OOPSLA!

And sure - anybody is free to do a rewrite of the SM Master web UI. I
will stick to what I have got for a while though because it works. Will
try to release the last version of it too.

> > Just so you know:
> >
> > If you use this UI on top of your "regular" map and start modifying it
> > by adding cards etc. it will get "corrupted" in regards with the real
> > master.
>
> Good point.  I'll release a new version which does its playing in a
> sandbox.  (Perhaps if a map is read only, it should throw an exception
> when you try to modify it?)

Yes, well - the design sofar is that the server runs the exact same code
as the client, but sure - a little safeguard wouldn't hurt.

I have some funky plans about being able to add local stuff to your own
map - like your own private packages. This would also mean that a
company could set up a local slave server that regularly updates from
the masters but can hold "company private" packages not visible to the
rest of us. And of course these packages should then be "publishable" to
the rest of the world when you feel like it.

All this requires a bit of thinking though... it will be interesting to
discuss it at OOPSLA.

> Cheers,
> Avi

Cheers, Göran