An uncomfortable question

Stephan Rudlof squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Thu Oct 31 04:41:23 UTC 2002

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Hi Dean,
>
> Let me drop in a note here. Modules are no DLLs - they are not shared
> runtime components. E.g., DLL-hell as we know it from Windows is due to
> the fact that no developer can foresee what DLLs any customer may have
> installed on his or her system at *runtime*. This is very different from
> detecting and handling problems at *development* time.
>
> Cheers,
>   - Andreas

I think it depends on the point of view:

If you look at the Squeak VM coupled with an image as runtime environment
running different apps, then parts of the image - modules - may be viewn as
some kind of DLLs...

If you start multiple Squeaks each running just one app (composed from
whatever versions of whatever modules), your argument holds; and then the
DLL hell is only outside (for Windows)...

Greetings,

Stephan

<...>

--