Squeak book !

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Sep 3 05:20:50 UTC 2002

"Gustavo Pistoia" <grpistoia at sinectis.com.ar> wrote:
	Did any body read this book?

	http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0130280917/ref=pd_sr_ec_ir_b/0
	02-8647131-2412827?v=glance&s=books

That is, "Squeak: Open Personal Computing and Multimedia".

It's sitting on the chair just to the left of me right now.

It is not a book you could learn Smalltalk from.
It's not really a book you could learn Squeak from,
but it is certainly a book that can help you see the point of
Squeak, and you can learn _about_ many aspects of Squeak.

Speaking personally, I found that the Morphic chapter seemed to
stop in mid-air leaving me with practically everything still to
learn.  But it _did_ give me the confidence to start teaching
myself.  We desperately need something not unlike this chapter
but about 4 times as long and current for Squeak 3.2.  (This
chapter talks about AlignmentMorph, which we are not supposed to
use any more.)

I found the chapter on the Pluggable Web Server very interesting,
but when I went to try things out became extremely confused about
what the current state of the code is and what I should do.  This
kind of thing is inevitable in something that moves as fast as Squeak,
and if on-line documentation were kept fully up to date might not be a
problem.  If I really cared enough about PWS, I suspect that this
chapter _would_ be an adequate start for reading the code.