Building external Plugins on OS-X

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at t-online.de
Wed Sep 4 23:06:07 UTC 2002

Folks,

A couple of weeks ago, my Squeak VM Builder certificate expired (yes
they *do*), so I set out to make myself comfortable on my new
platform.  I tried out this "newfangled VMMaker stuff" which promptly
turned out to be absolutely wonderful -- THANKS to all involved:  Tim
for VMMaker, John for the detailed instructions to build using
ProjectBuilder on OS-X, and last not least to all who contributed to
the relevant Swiki pages.

Being a total ProjectBuilder newbie, I am however still struggling to
build my first external plugin for the OS-X VM.  Here's what I did so
far:

* In ProjectBuilder's "Targets" tab, define a new target
"RePlugin.bundle" (of type "Bundle")

* In the "Files" tab, add a group "RePlugin" under
Sources/Cross/plugins, and add to it the files from
platforms/Cross/plugins/RePlugin/*.[ch] plus the VMMaker-made
src/plugins/rePlugin/rePlugin.c

* In the tabbed editor for the new target, in the tab "Build
Settings", I copied the "Compiler Settings" (optimization level and
compiler flags) from the "Squeak VM Opt" target, and added
/Developer/Headers/FlatCarbon to the "Search Paths / Header" [which
provoked two InternalErrors but PB then found the headers OK -- I'm
still using the 2001 tools with gcc 2.95.2]

* In the target editor tab "Bundle Settings", I filled out "Basic
Information" (BNDL/FAST etc), "Display Information" and "Icon"

That's about it.

I hit "Build" (once more...), and do indeed get a
build/RePlugin.bundle (with the cute Squeak Lego icon) -- only its
Contents/MacOS is empty, and lo, the PB console has complained:

Linking .../Squeak/build/RePlugin.bundle/Contents/MacOS/RePlugin
(1 error) Undefined symbols: _interpreterProxy

Hmm.  /usr/bin/ld is not happy.  I'd be grateful for tips and hints
on where my setup is wrong or incomplete.

Cheers,
Helge