Squeak book !

Bijan Parsia bparsia at email.unc.edu
Thu Sep 5 19:42:32 UTC 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

[snip]
> 	IMHO, anyone reading this and getting interested in Squeak webserving:
> 	PWS is more or less obsolete code (as in "unmaintained" AFAICT). Use
> 	Comanche instead which a lot of people use and which works very good
> 	including being the base of Swiki.
>
> The point is that the book spends quite a few pages on PWS and only 1 or 2
> on the Comanche "research project".

Just to add some history, when the chapter was commissioned
(er.."requested") Comanche was far less done. It got a lot more done over
the period of the writing, but it's still not in the image.

My take (now) is that PWS is still interesting to play with (if it works).
I had fun with it, it helped teach me Squeak.

One will also notice that both the then current socket classes and Flow
were covered. Flow seems to be (finally :)) coming, but integration will
still lag.

> This doesn't mean it is a _bad_ book, only that we already need a 3.2 edition.

(Just to be clear, I don't at all dispute Richard's claims about them, nor
do I take them as harshing on our efforts in making it.)

The plan was always to keep it up to date on the web, but no one's had the
time or energy to work on that. I've even never found and bundled up the
code package I put together for the networking chapter (although most is
in the chapter text itself). Now, that 3.2 is, in fact, out, (it *is* out,
isn't it?) it may be a bit easier to get folks interested in some updates.

(The nuBlue wasn't *just* a documentation project, i.e., the idea was, in
part, to express the sprit of the system and the community. That, i hope,
isn't obsolete :))

It wouldn't be all that hard to strip out the burbly stuff from the
Networking chapter and start updating it for 3.2. In my copious spare time
of course.

Richard, was PWS simply not working? or was there a problem getting the
configuration files?

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.