chat apps in squeak.

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Fri Sep 6 17:09:54 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Niko Schwarz wrote:

> I was writing a tiny messanger similar to kxicq, mostly to fool around a bit
> with encryption. I dont have much time lately, so i was trying to keep the
> efforts small. My idea was to write a small java server and then access it
> from squeak to have the client squeaking. That sure would be a reasonable
> approach, but i got kinda pissed when xml-rpc for java didnt wanna work
> together with mycgiserver, and now id prefer to find a tiny solution to swap
> simple information with a public server for zero costs elsewhere in the net.
>
> is anyone aware of such a possibility?
> (this isnt urgent; if there is none im gonna write my own xml-rpc or modify
> xml-rpc so that the packages work -- its just that im so tired of this
> approach..)

Why not use a pubically available Jabber (http://www.jabber.org) server
and write a Jabber client for Squeak?  The protocol is Java based, and
there already has been some work done toward a Jabber client in Squeak,
implementing the low-level protocol at least.

http://swiki.gsug.org:8080/sqfixes/2460.html

Regards,
Aaron