Delay between posting and receiving on this list

Steve Elkins sgelkins at bellsouth.net
Wed Sep 11 09:35:04 UTC 2002

Alain Fischer <alain.fischer at bluewin.ch> writes:

> Every time I post message on this list, I see a big delay (3-4 hour)
> between the time I post a message to the list and the time I receive
> my message from the list. By example, I have posted a message
> at 10 Sep 2002 20:28:00 +0200 (18:28 GMT) but have still not seen
> my message on the list now (23:56 +0200 or 21:56 GMT).

It could be worse.  I think the likeliest reason this occurs is that

   alain.fischer at bluewin.ch

isn't subscribed to squeak-dev.  Messages from unsubscribed email
addresses require approval from one of the mailing list admins, and
therefore may wait in the queue for even longer than 3-4 hours.  A
disadvantage of human spam filters.

> It seem this is not the case for everybody on the list.

Messages from subscribed readers don't require approval.

> Did someone else see also this strange behavior or is it just me ?

There are other regular Squeak list writers who aren't subscribed.

> Could someone sugest a mean to change this ?

Well, subscribing will do it, of course.  I think some people don't
want to receive as much email as the list generates, but if you can
put up with it, that's the simplest solution.  http://www.gmane.org/
is another possibility.  Squeak is out there, known as

   gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.general

Hope this helps,

Steve

--
Schapiro's Explanation:
	The grass is always greener on the other side -- but that's