Symbian platform port

Chris Double chris at double.co.nz
Thu Sep 12 09:53:37 UTC 2002

"Frank Shearar" <frank.shearar at rnid.org.uk> writes:

> I've read talk here and there about Squeak being ported (or people wanting
> to port it) to the Symbian platform (Nokia 9210, etc).
>
> I was just wanting to know if anyone knows the status of any
> attempts to do this?

I have the SDK for the 9210 and have ported a few languages to it (io
[1], Ficl [2], and attempted Goo [3]).

I'd be keen to see Squeak on the 9210 and would be happy to dig into a
port. Some things that would need to be overcome would be:

1) No mouse or stylus. Only a keyboard is available. There is a
   'virtual cursor' that can be controlled with a direction pad but
   that could be quite painful to use.

2) Only 3MB or so of memory to play with. Is it even possible to pare
   Squeak down to run in this with Morphic? How about MVC?

3) A Symbian application is really a DLL. It can contain no static
   variables at all. Are the many global statics in the Squeak source?

4) The Symbian application can only have an 8KB stack. Is this
   sufficient?

5) It's possible to do an .exe on Symbian rather than an app which
   works around 3 and 4. But an .exe doesn't play nicely with the
   OS. It won't appear in task lists, can't be switched to, etc. But
   I'd accept that if needed to get it going.

[1] http://www.dekorte.com/Software/C/Io/
[2] http://ficl.sf.net
[3] http://www.googoogaga.org

Chris.