[ENH] RecursiveMutex (disregard RecursionLock)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Sep 15 18:11:48 UTC 2002

Peter Schuller <peter.schuller at infidyne.com> wrote:

> Same thing; better name. RecusiveMutex, placed in Kernel-Processes.

It would seem valuable to overview all of Squeak's synchronization
mechanisms.  Off the top of my head we have just Semaphore and
SharedQueue.  Now we have RecursiveMutex, and Semaphore's can be used
for regular mutexes.  Condition variables are notably absent, and there
may be other things, too.

Also, it's worth asking whether the existing classes have all the
methods that would be expected.  Sometimes I've wanted to completely
drain a semaphore, for example, and have had to resort to a loop.

I don't really know enough about sychronization to do such a review, but
maybe someone on the list does.  Along the way, a *really* nice person
(not necessarily the same person) might write a little essay summarizing
threads and synchronization in Squeak add post it on the Swiki.  :)

-Lex