Linux plugin functional?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Sep 16 19:14:53 UTC 2002

On 15 Sep 2002, Avi Schwartz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Couple of questions/problems with the Linux Netscape plugin:
>
> 1. The download links from the
> http://squeakland.org/plugin/installers/ux.html page are broken (both
> binaries and source).
>
> Eventually I downloaded npsqueak-i386-linux-31a.tar.gz and
> npsqueak-noarch-31a.tar.gz from
> http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/%7Ebert/squeak/plugin/download.html.
> Installed the two archives per instructions and copied the plugin into
> the mozilla plugin directory as well.
>
> Restarted the browsers and tried the test page.  Received a popup that
> it has "Trouble resolving sever name "plugintest.sts".

Strange.

> Went back to http://squeakland.org/author/essays.html and tried the
> essay.  Downloaded and installed 48 updates,

Great! It works!

> after which it seems that
> the plugin is getting into an infinite loop of telling me there are
> updates available, but if I select "Yes", it tells me that 0 new update
> file(s) processed.  If I select "No", I get a "MessageNotUnderstood:
> useTempChangeSet" error.

Too bad. I think this occurred here, too. You could try again with the
current image from http://squeakland.org/plugin/installers/files.html

> I have the same problem with Netscape 4.79 as well as Mozilla 1.1.  Tee
> question is whether the plugin is supposed to work with these versions
> of the browsers? And if it is, what may be the problem?

Should work with 4.79. Mozilla >= 1.0 is broken (0.97 used to work). No
fix yet. I really need to try harder to find some time now. Oh, I think
there are some free evenings coming up now, there is hope ;-)

-- Bert