Linux plugin functional?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Sep 17 21:27:36 UTC 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002, Tommy Thorn wrote:

> It seems my experience was somewhat different.  First my environment: an
> old Linux installation (pre GLIBC_2.1.3) and Mozilla 1.1:
>
> 0. I unpacked the binary packages, but installed the plugins in
> /usr/local/mozilla/plugins and squeak in ~/.mozilla/thorn/<something>/squeak
>
> 1. The compiled binaries wouldn't work because of the library issue so I
> rebuild the squeak VM and the npsqueak.so glue.
>
> 2. It sort of seems to work, but the plugin test at
> http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/%7Ebert/squeak/plugin/test/plugintest.html
> ended up with an Error box: "Error: Error loading 'plugintest.sts'.

A *Squeak* error box? Great! This at least indicates that the plugin finds
and starts the VM. ;-)

>  However, pointing mozilla to
> http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/%7Ebert/squeak/plugin/test/plugintest.sts
> gave me a browser wide squeak window running the plugin, so it seems
> that it doesn't get the prefix correctly.

What do you mean by "squeak running the plugin"? Was it displaying the
notice in the workspace or not? What should happen is when the browser
finds a file registered for Squeak it runs the npsqueak plugin, the plugin
runs the Squeak VM, and Squeak runs that "Squeaklet", which in the case of
plugintest.sts just opens a workspace window with some text inside.

Anyways, it sounds like it doesn't load the squeaklet file correctly.
Which is exactly the error I experienced in Mozilla 1.0. However, Avi was
reporting it works fine in Moz1.1? I couldn't try myself, yet.

> I managed to get the world menu up, but after having loaded the latest
> updates from server and save and quit, squeak seemed to have lost its
> plugin awareness, so this apparently isn't the way to go about it.

Do you mean the plugin is not loaded anymore?

-- Bert