Getting at the Classic VM

Rudi Angela Olmeca at netscape.net
Wed Sep 18 12:27:49 UTC 2002

Hi there,

I'm in the course of making an installer for a Squeak application targetting systems prior to OS 9. I want to use the latest VM (3.2.8), but at the download sites I can only find the OSX savvy versions. Now I understand that the OSX .app folder does contain the Classic VM in a subfolder Contents/MacOSClassic/. But I can't manage to make a copy of this VM. I'm using a machine with MacOS 10.2 and 9.2. In X I can only copy the VM using the command line's 'cp', which does not make a proper copy (something goes wrong with the resources). Under OS9 the .app folder is recognized as a 'package' so I cannot look into it in the Finder.
I tried ResEdit, which does allow me to navigate into the package folder, but then with ResEdit I cannot move or copy the VM either.

Any tips how I can get this simple task done, or how I can get the latest version of the Classic VM?

Thanks,

Rudi Angela