SqueakMap tommorrow?

Göran Hultgren goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
Wed Sep 18 18:27:02 UTC 2002

Hi all!

Quoting Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de>:
> goran.hultgren at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Hi Daniel and all!
> >

> <...>
>
> > Should we add a field (optional) for each package telling the minimal
> > update level for it to work? If it is entered in the package and the
> > client image is below that threshold we can throw up a simple warning
> > the user to go ahead on his/her own risk.
>
> But not a warning too harsh:
> If I'm releasing a package I'm sure that it works with my current
> update
> level. Normally it should also work with a previous update level, but
> I'm
> not willingly to test with older versions (which?, how far back?).

Yes, that is probably a common scenario. Note also that each package is marked
with at least one (or more) of the mandatory categories in the category "Squeak
versions". (2.8, 3.1, 3.2 etc) And that should be used as the primary guide for
compatibility IMHO but still - this little warning could be nice to have, it
would at least make the user aware of the fact that unexpected glitches may appear.

> Triggered by this I have an idea: what about a hint to the user to
> update to
> the current version before loading something with a higher update
> level?

Yes, that is definitely something we should "tell" the user at that point.
Hmmm, if we are going to add this menu we are discussing then we might need to
let the user choose between the following:

1. Only show installable/Show all
2. Show only for current image version (2.9, 3.1, 3.2 etc)/Show for all
versions/Show only for current image version or older

Now - how do we let the user do these choices? Preferences? (not necessarily
easy to find) Checkbox items at the top of the menu?

regards, Göran

Göran Hultgren, goran.hultgren at bluefish.se
GSM: +46 70 3933950, http://www.bluefish.se
\"Department of Redundancy department.\" -- ThinkGeek