[Enh]shrinkingSelection and WordprocessorStyleCursorMovement

Torge Husfeldt Torge.Husfeldt at gmx.de
Fri Sep 20 10:37:51 UTC 2002

Hi All,

In reply to a request Tommy Thorn made in a recent mail, i did some cruel things to the poor old ParagraphEditor. Please try out the attached cs and give me lots of feedback (please please).

This cs renames two instance variables from ParagraphEditor
{startBlock stopBlock} to be:{markBlock pointBlock}.
The reason for the new names is that they carry a new semantic. They are no longer ordered but simulate the behavior of mark and point known from emacs. To get the old ones call the accordingly named methods instead {#startBlock #stopBlock}. There are also shortCuts named startIndex and stopIndex.

This cs adds two new preferencse called
#selectionsMayShrink
#wordStyleCursorMovement
both in the #general category.
If they are untouched everything should continue to work the way it did before (I'd especially like feedback on this one).
If selectionsMayShrink is enabled, selections will behave more like they do in classical word processors in that one border stays fixed and the other one moves.
If wordStyleCursorMovement is enabled, the cursor will move through visible lines rather than (logical) text lines in a way classical word processors do cursor movement. (only affects #up #down #home #end #pageUp #pageDown).

Have fun!
Torge