OOPSLA BOF scheduling

Martin McClure martin at hand2mouse.com
Thu Sep 26 00:08:16 UTC 2002

As I prepare once again for OOPSLA (if you haven't yet registered,
last day for the early-bird discount is the 26th) I've started
thinking about the Squeak BOF, always one of the highlights of OOPSLA.

Over the past few years it seems like it's gotten harder to find a
good time for the Squeak BOF, so I'm hoping to start discussion early
enough that we can find a time that most folks can be there without
missing something else near and dear to their interests.

The "traditional" time for the Squeak BOF is on Tuesday evening,
which is on a Wednesday this year.  (okay, not quite, but close. Most
OOPSLAs of recent years run Sunday through Thursday. This one runs
Monday through Friday, so everything is pushed back a day.) The past
couple of years there has been some competition for that evening,
since Cincom has scheduled a reception and presentation on that
evening as well.

This year, Cincom and GemStone are hosting an event from 7-9pm
Wednesday at the Sheraton. I'm hoping that the Squeak BOF isn't at
the same time, because I want to go to both.

Looking over the schedule (available at oopsla.acm.org) the only
times that don't conflict with *something* are in the middle of the
night. There's even an invited talk scheduled Wednesday evening
opposite the Cincom/GemStone bash.

My opinion at this point is that we might want to have the BOF during
the day, conflicting with papers, panels, and such. Others may have
different opinions, which is why I'm starting this discussion.

My personal preference at this point is for Friday morning, 10:00 to 12:00.

-Martin