Bad Aspects of Morphic?

Eddie Cottongim cottonsqueak at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 27 15:28:11 UTC 2002

One current problem involves the ScrollPane [ScrollPane+TwoWayScrollPane]:
The entire contents of scrollpanes are drawn all the time, even when most of
them are not visible.  A heavy user of ScrollPanes can get burned bad on
this. Lex Spoon has a patch that fixes this is the special case of
PluggableLists, but it is still a problem for others. I made the suggestion
that perhaps Layouts can be used to help determine visibility and avoid
excessive drawing of invisible morphs; maybe there are other approaches to
this too [cache the order, like a bsp maybe?].

So far, I can't say that there is anything slow about the Morphic framework
itself; all the slowness I have seen so far is the fault of individual
morphs that are especially bad about occluded drawing (like PluggableLists,
above, and the multiple selection lists, which I posted a fix for earlier).
Ironically, Morphic's speed has let things like this accumulate without
anyone noticing much (for a while).

Eddie