TTY Morph

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Sat Sep 28 19:18:18 UTC 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> No it does not (when I use your default cmd line "/bin/bash -i").

Oops -- mine was inheriting it from the parent process.

> > 	setenv TERM=`tset -q`

...and tset was getting its info from my TERM varible too.  When I unset
it, tset has to ask me for the terminal type.  (I distinctly remember
using tset [or something similar] on SunOS 3 and 4 to set TERM in my
.profile based on the ID string sent back from the terminal -- I wonder if
that was a Sun-specific thing?)

> Yes, I usually use tcsh. I'll try that. Though, when I use xterm or ssh
> into the box the terminal type is correct. But I must admit I have no idea
> how the terminal type is communicated to the shell.

xterm sets it in the environment before forking the shell.  So I guess
another answer to your question would be: set TERM=xterm in the
environment of the Squeak process before spawning the shell.  (OSPP can
probably do this.)

FWIW, ssh passes several environment variables to the server side during
handshaking, including TERM (even though the manual page claims that TERM
isn't one of them).  The telnet handshake can also pass TERM to the remote
side.

Ian