The standard does *not* support - a removeAll: a - [was: Re: [BUG] Collection>>removeAll:]

squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Tue Sep 3 12:35:30 UTC 2002

Wow, I am impressed Richard - this is really interesting reading. May I
come with a suggestion to all who are following this discussion?

Why don't we start a "rework the whole darn Collection mess" project and
let Richard take a first hit at it. You (Richard) already have new
implementations for Set etc, various improvements here and there, new
LinkedList implementation in the works and so on. And we have the source
from StrongTalk which might contain good stuff to borrow etc. This would
be a new Squeak centric project that wouldn't try to be ANSI compliant
(unless it isn't a problem) nor portable.

If you started to "maintain" such a ChangeSet (perhaps by simply copying
the Collection classes as a start, renaming them to NCollection, NSet
and so on (so that this works in versions less than 3.3 with Modules)
and then chopping away at those) we could load that in parallell in an
image, use them if we like to and compare them with the old ones. We
could also run performance tests and unit tests on both sets of classes
to make sure they both "comply" to our tests.

What do you all say?

It would make a perfect testbed also for improvements etc while still
keeping "the good ol' stuff" so that noone can get worried about ANSI,
portability etc.

And in 3.3a we can publish this a dropin Module instead of the old
Collections for anyone to use who want's to.

regards, Göran