Squeak chugging by on the Zaurus SL-5500

Konrad Hinsen squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Sep 4 05:48:04 UTC 2002

> I didn't even know about shift-tap.  Good catch.  Understand that we're
> better off than most PDA users that haven't even got modifier keys.

True. And I'd rather not rely on them, at least typical PDA operations
(looking up an address etc.) should be possible without opening
the keyboard.

> With dynapad you have access to all the menus via buttons on the interface.

I noticed the four buttons, but didn't explore them yet in detail.
That will happen today :-)

> However, it is my plan to make the keyboard more functional, eg. make
> the control key work and perhaps remap right-shift to Alt, as well as
> make use of the application buttons.

Which control key? My keyboard doesn't have any. There's just "Shift"
"Fn" and "Gr", the latter might be specific to the German Zaurus, as
it is used only for German special characters.

> The touchpad filtering also isn't great.  Right now I filter so much
> that the touchpad feel sluggish, while it still lets some noise through.

It is a bit sluggish, but usable.

Konrad.