Squeak book !

Bijan Parsia squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Fri Sep 6 14:16:50 UTC 2002

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
> 	(Just to be clear, I don't at all dispute Richard's claims about them, nor
> 	do I take them as harshing on our efforts in making it.)
>
> Just to make this clear,

It was clear :) I love your book too! (It's sitting right on my desk.)

[snip]
> No, it was a documentation problem.  Basically, I got totally confused
> about what files I was supposed to get and what I was supposed to do with
> them.

Ah yest, this is partially my fault. Ok, it's all my fault. I had prepared
a change set that had all the configuration files handy and was supposed
to get this onto the CD. I flaked.

[snip]
> Basically, I got lost in a maze of web pages all telling me they were no good.
> I downloaded the stuff that unpacks into an initial sort of Swiki folder, but
> decided that I could wait to find out how to use it.

Yep.

[snip]
> I was interested because I thought it might be a good idea to set up some
> local Swikis.  For example, in some of the papers I teach, students have to
> work in groups.  It sounded as though a Swiki (with only the members of a
> group authorised to change it, and the lecturer(s) also authorised to read
> it for marking purposes) might be a good thing to offer.

As John pointed out, I would *not* recommend using PWS for this, but
ComSwiki instead. PWS is fun for experimentation and is, on the whole, a
lot easy to understand down to the bytecodes than ComSwiki, but it *is*
less capable and more poorly supported. The ComSwiki swiki is at:
	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/swiki

There you can find preconfigured, somewhat stripped images for running
swikis.

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.