[Job] Squeak for NewtonOS?

Aaron J Reichow squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Mon Sep 9 21:58:31 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> >  I'm not familiar with the
> > PocketSmalltalk architecture- can the Compiler be packaged in a deployment
> > image? Can you do an "Compiler evaluate: '3 + 4'"?
>
> No, so first task would be to add back in Compiler and friends.
>
> A more major task is adding various newt bindings.

Does PocketSmalltalk use real bindings to the real widgets, or use
emulated ones like with Waba?

> However, I suspect these tasks are much easier than cutting down squeak to
> work on the newt.

I think you could get a decently-sized Squeak image- 6 MB or so, with some
storage tricks.  That might be to slow, though.

> (It's not just "size", as I recall, but interactions with the Newt event
> system.)

Yes, I think that was what Paul Fernhout said was the problem.  However,
using a non-Morphic/MVC GUI may make that easier?

> Given that you can develop PST programs in/from Squeak, building up a
> useable system wouldn't be so unpleasant :)

Yeah.  The end goal here is being able to develop Smalltalk on the Newt.
Having Squeak itself would be heaven, but any decent Smalltalk system
would be nice too.  My personal goal is not needing a desktop for
Smalltalk development.

Regards,
Aaron

  Aaron Reichow  ::  UMD ACM Pres  ::  http://www.d.umn.edu/~reic0024/
"the profit system follows the path of least resistance and following the path
    of least resistance is what makes a river crooked."   ::  u. utah phillips