Delay between posting and receiving on this list

John Hinsley squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org
Wed Sep 11 03:44:18 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 10 September 2002 9:56 pm, Alain Fischer wrote:
> Every time I post message on this list, I see a big delay (3-4 hour)
> between the time I post a message to the list and the time I receive
> my message from the list. By example, I have posted a message
> at 10 Sep 2002 20:28:00 +0200 (18:28 GMT) but have still not seen
> my message on the list now (23:56 +0200 or 21:56 GMT).
>
> It seem this is not the case for everybody on the list.
>
> Did someone else see also this strange behavior or is it just me ?

It happns sometimes. You can analyse why by looking at the full headers a=
nd=20
doing the arithmetic. You might find that setting the mail to "urgent" ra=
ther=20
than "normal" or "bulk" helps, depending on where the slow up is.=20

> Could someone sugest a mean to change this ?

Other than the above, (or setting up your own ISP) not really. Hiss's com=
ment=20
about recieving replies before mail is returned highlights the problem: t=
here=20
can be a slow up in any of the places mail is relayed, and mail certainly=
=20
isn't all relayed via the same places.

Mind you, I've already recieved mail from Bruce O'Neel which isn't due to=
 be=20
sent until the 16th!

Cheers

John